Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation on a C64C (but not only)
Hi guys,
So as I received the Beamracer (nice packaging!), I wanted to install it on my PAL C64C.

I followed the instructions (for the narrow boards, mine is a 250469 rev A), I was able to bend the C36 capacitor (enough I guess, else I'll re-solder it).
But I'm totally unable to set the beamracer in the socket, each time it pops up like it was on springs.

To test I also tried on the riser socket, the socket fits perfectly well on the VIC socket but same result, the BeamRacer pops up even when "well" inserted (meaning as much as it can).

I guess this is due to the pin shapes.

Any advice? I'd like to avoid breaking anything.

Thanks!
Hi!

When placed on the riser socket, there should normally be zero problems with installation (riser socket has flat pins as the chip does) but do I understand correctly that it pops also out of the riser socket? When the riser socket is installed, it should get completely in, without any gaps left:

[Image: fetch.php?media=installation_make_sure_n...e_left.jpg]

It requires some force but once in it should have absolutely no tendency to pop-out of the riser socket. Are you able to install the socket as on the above picture? YES, please be careful not to break anything and better ask even multiple times instead!
Silver Dream,

That works (with difficulty) on my C64 long board but for the C64C/short board, how would you do without the riser socket?
If you can post a similar picture (or a video Big Grin) that will help!
When I feel the motherboard bending... not a good feeling Smile

thanks!
(2020-10-13, 04:45 PM)shazz Wrote: If you can post a similar picture (or a video Big Grin) that will help!
When I feel the motherboard bending... not a good feeling Smile

thanks!
Absolutely. It does require some force but if you feel like it's already too much then you should not go further. If you could send me a private message with a picture of your VIC-II socket on the narrow board that can help.
in your messages!