Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General-purpose computing with VASYL
This is a very impressive work. I am still reviewing it, but I already admire the vision, scope, and programming tricks used in the code. Frankly, this is something we had hoped for while creating VASYL's peculiar architecture - people showing up and creatively bending it in some unexpected ways. And boy, is this one unexpected! Smile

Our original plan was to gradually release some building blocks that can be used for more general programming, including routines implementing 16-bit counters, stacks, maps, etc. Sadly, the response of the C64 programming community was somewhat more muted than we expected, and what was to be an area of active exploration remains so far deserted. Thus I am even more glad that when the action finally happens, it is of this caliber.

One quick comment on preserving the contents of a port's ADR registers - it can be done, although it will cost you a bank and then some. The other port's ADRs will be clobbered, too (at least this is what I managed to come up with today, perhaps it can be improved). I will put up a repo shortly and post a link here.

I hope to have more to say after playing with the code tomorrow.

Once again, thank you and congrats on a cool project!

Messages In This Thread
General-purpose computing with VASYL - by ytm - 2021-09-04, 06:16 PM
RE: General-purpose computing with VASYL - by laubzega - 2021-09-06, 07:27 AM
RE: General-purpose computing with VASYL - by ytm - 2021-09-06, 07:34 PM